Episode 12 | Gumption
Gumption, as a word and as a concept (which Americans often refer to as “tenacity”), dates back to Scotland in the early 1700s, and although the concept is quite old, we think that it is a critical component of modern entrepreneurship.
This episode explores a number of strategies we recommend for building up your own capacity for gumption:
1. Set yourself up for success with self-care.
2. Start setting goals that you can control and then don’t let yourself off the hook. (Keep your word to yourself.)
3. It’s ok to try something new. (Creative problem-solving is arguably the most important skill in entrepreneurship.)
4. Capture successes + celebrate heroes and legends.
5. Community + accountability. (It is SO hard to be brave in a vacuum.)
Joy: Do something creative that scares you. #bebrave
Hustle: Shonda Rhimes’ MasterClass