Episode 37 | Waiting
“Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting. Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting.” – Dr. Seuss
So many of us are constantly playing the waiting game in our business. We’re, personally, in the midst of a huge transition on this front. We’ve decided to make the future of our company about agency. Taking action. Figuring it out. Self reliance. (It feels great.)
We’ve identified a handful of places where we see folks get stuck in the waiting game in their businesses (many of which we’ve found ourselves in as well):
- Waiting for the money (to close the round, to win the next pitch competition, to sell out your next program, etc.)
- Waiting for that perfect person to come and join your team
- Waiting to be heard or to be acknowledged by others
- Waiting for the product, program, service to be built or perfected
- Waiting for the customers and clients to come to you
So how do you break out of the waiting game? Take action. Take control back. Be willing to make mistakes and even to fail. Embody the archetype of the empress. Decide what you need to do, own it, and lead. Do what it takes to go out and make it happen.
You’re not less than anyone. You’re fully capable.